As if the effects the menopause has on us emotionally and physically isn’t enough, it also has a huge impact on our skin!
Menopause can unfortunately affect anyone, at any age. That may come as a huge surprise to you, however, menopause affects:
1 in 10,000 in their teens
1 in 1,000 in their twenties
1 in 100 in their thirties
The negative affects the menopause has on your skin can start from whatever age you head on into your menopausal journey!
The side effects of the menopause are common knowledge to most, hot flushes, night sweats, mood swings, confusion/cloudy mind and difficulty sleeping, but the effects it has on the skin are rarely mentioned.
These are the negatives for our menopausal skin: –
- Increased loss of collagen –the support structure in the skin
- Decrease in the glycosaminoglycan’s (GAG’s) that provide ‘plumpness’ to skin
- Decrease in dermal thickness
- Decrease in skin elasticity
- Age spots – Hyperpigmentation is caused by overexposure to UV rays.
- Dry skin – Your skin starts to thin during menopause with the outer layer becoming less efficient at holding water. Oestrogen is responsible not only for collagen levels, but also encourages the oils that keep your skin nice and moist. As well as being irritating and stopping you from looking your best, dry skin can lead to itchy skin.
- Fine lines & wrinkles – As collagen is lost and produced in lower amounts during menopause, more skin cells die or atrophy. This results in the appearance of the skin altering and wrinkles appearing.
- Increase in unwanted facial hair
- Decrease in skin strength
- Adult acne – Hormonal levels going haywire can lead to the unfortunate development of adult acne for many menopausal women. As well as cortisol, stress – a common symptom of menopause – causes your body to produce androgens. Since androgens can stimulate the oil glands in your skin, this often ends up triggering outbreaks of acne.
But, it’s not all bad news, you can help support your skin with a good daily skincare routine.
- Use products containing vitamin A. It is a great anti-oxidant, aids in wrinkle reduction and is a skin ageing preventative. Aids in skin firmness and stimulates natural production of proteins to keep skin looking healthy.
- Use products containing Vitamin C. It is a great anti-oxidant, improves healing response in your skin, reduces hyperpigmentation, firms skin and reduces inflammation.
- Use products containing hyaluronic acid. It is critical in maintaining skin hydration, so your skin appears hydrated, plumped and healthy.
- Use a daily SPF, to avoid the risk of age spots/pigmentation.
- Cleanse twice a day using a milk cleanser to aid in moisture and give comfort to your skin
THE GOOD NEWS!
There are non-intrusive, natural treatments that really work and have long-lasting results.
Microneedling is a collagen induction therapy, which is a non-surgical and non-ablative treatment. It uses small needles to cause slight voluntary trauma to the skin (little pin pricks). This encourages the body to create a wound healing response and renew skin cells. As the skin repairs, the natural production of collagen and elastin is triggered, giving an almost immediate plumping effect. This has a variety of benefits for the skin, including fine line & wrinkle reduction, improved skin tone, texture and a brighter complexion. Immediate results are visible, however, a course of treatments is recommended to achieve maximum results.
The Million Dollar Facial
The Million Dollar Facial is a luxurious facial where science meets indulgence. Working your skin from the outside in, this treatment has been designed to deeply exfoliate dead skin cells and remove non-terminal hair, polish the skin, flush toxins, increase and stimulate the natural production of collagen and cell renewal. This treatment is a combination of, dermaplaning, microneedling, lymphatic massage, plus a hyaluronic acid mask.
The Plasma Pen is the beauty worlds #1 most advanced, en vogue & non-invasive, soft surgery skin lifting, skin tightening and rejuvenation device and treatment. It is used by trained professionals to treat, repair and lift almost any skin area, especially the face and neck. Plasma Pen successfully treats, repairs, rejuvenates and lifts ageing skin, spectacularly improves and brightens skin tone, elasticity and texture, significantly tightens loose or sagging skin, dramatically reduces the appearance of lines and wrinkles and effectively reverses hyperpigmentation, discolouration and sun damaged skin resulting in a more contoured and youthful appearance. Results are virtually immediate & incredibly long-lasting (typically 3 years) without the need for suturing, scalpels, anaesthetic or costly surgery.